You probably think you know the place you”ve lived in for your entire life. Eventually, though, you”ll realize there are just so many things about the world around you that you do NOT know.
Considering that humans have only been on Earth for a blip of its long history, it”s no wonder that we don”t know everything there is to know about our home planet. In fact, it”s amazing that we know as much as we do. Here are some facts about Planet Earth you may not realize are true (or thought were completely wrong):
1. Did you know that clouds usually weigh around 500 tons?
2. Did you know that big earthquakes actually happen quite slowly?
3. Did you know that Earth is smoother than a billiard ball?
4. Did you know that tiny creatures called endoliths are capable of living inside of rocks?
5. Did you know that when we think we see a tornado, what we”re actually seeing is a condensation cloud inside of it?
6. Did you know that Switzerland rises and falls 25 centimeters each day?
7. Did you know that the Earth has magnetic tornadoes too?
8. Did you know that two cyclones of equal strength will dance withor orbit each otherif they get close enough?
9. Did you know that lightning can strike the same place twice (well, many times actually)?
10. Did you know Hawaii”s Mauna Loa is the tallest mountain in the world, not Mount Everest?
11. Did you know Mount Everest moves sideways, not up?
This isn”t the type of stuff they teach you in science class, that”s for sure…